Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 11, 2009

“If you really must keep score in the game of life, remember this; what you ‘give up’ is worth more than what you ’give’…” author unknown

They say (who are these guys anyways?) that life is one big roller coaster. Okay, I may have heard that once or twice over the years, but I’m here to tell ya, now I’m a true believer! At last I understand why so many people shut their eyes and scream on these rides. I get why they raise their arms high overhead as if reaching out to someone, anyone, who might grab a hold and yank them to the safety of solid ground! Life IS a roller freaking coaster! Big and scary sometimes, fast and thrilling the rest of the time, with the only real peace coming when you finally reach the end.

Dealing with the day to day issues of caring for a seriously ill child is hard enough, but when you factor in the ups and downs associated with remissions and resurgences, well sir, the ol’ stress meter can peak pretty darn quickly! This week we’re on an ‘all clear’ (cancer free) downhill run, hoping for a long slow glide to the end of the ride and NOT another uphill climb to uncertainty. Well, that’s what prayers are for, right?

Anyway, I’ve come to understand after 50 something years in the game, that we have absolutely zero control over what life brings us; that's up to God by way of the gifts and challenges he gives us. But, we are 100% in control of how we deal with them. So, speaking only for myself, I will be grateful for this week’s good news, accept the challenges of day to day life, and have faith that whatever the Almighty has in store for us will be in our best interests according to His perfect plan.

Okay, enough pontificating, on with chapter four of:

“KK Undercover…The Cookie Caper…”

Deer Canyon Elementary: School’s OUT!

We stood at the curb huddled together against the cool autumn temperature, me, Winifred, Claire, and Daniel (the new kid). We were waiting for Daniel’s sister to arrive to pick him up. That’s when we planned to gang up on her and charm her into baking the cookies we needed to trap the ‘Lunchito Bandito!’

“What kind of car is she driving anyways,” asked Claire?

“Um, my Dad got her a Mustang, he says it’s a classic,” answered Daniel.

“What does classic mean,” Winnie asked?

“It means OLD,” I replied sarcastically.
“Here she comes,” Daniel exclaimed, pointing at the candy apple red car turning into the school drive.

“WOW, that is an OLD car,” Claire gasped.

“CLASSIC,” added Winifred!

Daniel’s sister drove up and stopped beside us at the curb. She leaned over and seemed to wrestle with the door as the window jerked its way down slowly.

“What’s wrong with your car,” Claire wondered out loud.

“Nothing, it’s just hard to crank when I’m leaning over from the driver’s side is all,” Sissy replied.

“What’s cranking,” we all asked together?

“Well, it’s an old car and doesn’t have automatic windows so you have to roll down the windows with a hand crank,” explained Sissy.

“Oh,” we replied together, nodding our heads but really understanding.

“You know, cranking, like this,” Sissy added, making a circular cranking motion with her hands.

“Ohhhh, CLASSIC,” we said in unison, her visual aid made sense of it all.

“Right, you guys are cute! Who are your friends Danny,” Sissy asked her brother?

“Um, they’re just in my class,” he answered.

“I figured that much Einstein, what are their names?”

“Sorry about that! Um, the tall one is Winnie, the blonde is Claire, and the one with the purple hair is KK,” Daniel replied, pointing at each of us in turn.

“It’s Winifred,” Winnie corrected.

“Actually my hair is ash blonde,” Claire added.

“My hair is only purple on Tuesday’s,” I explained.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Danny’s sister Bethany, but you can call be Beth. Nice hair KK, I like it!”

We waived back at her sheepishly. “But Daniel said your name was Sissy?”
“That works too, I’ll answer to either one,” Sissy replied with a smile.

“Well, we gotta get going, hop in Danny,” she said after a pause, opening the door for her brother.

Daniel climbed in and shut the door. Sissy waived and put the car in gear when her brother suddenly hollered, “WAIT!”

Sissy hit the brakes and the Mustang screeched to a stop. “DON’T DO THAT, what is wrong with you doofus!”

“Sorry sis, but KK wanted to ask you something, didn’t you KK,” Danny explained hurriedly.

Sissy leaned forward and looked at me with a little frown, “well?”

Gulping I walked up to the car and put my head in the window a couple of inches.

“Um, well we were wondering if you would mind making some cookies for us tonight, I mean if you’re not busy or anything?”

“You’re kidding right? Can’t your mom do that for you?”

“Well, Winnie’s mom was going to but now she has to work, and my mom has to take me to rehab tonight, and Claire’s mom, well, Claire’s mom doesn’t bake, I think it has something to with math, fractions specifically,” I answered in one breath!

“I see, I think? Well, I guess I can make a couple dozen cookies for you. Chocolate chip okay?”

“Oh yeah, chocolate chip would be great, thanks!”

“Alright, I'll bake them later and Danny can bring them in tomorrow morning. Hope your party turns out nice,” Sissy said, waiving as she put the car in gear.

“What p…,” Claire started to ask.

“It sure will now that we have cookies to share, thank you so much,” Winifred said, stepping in front of Claire before any damage could be done.

“See ya girls, nice meeting you,” Sissy said waiving as she drove away.

We waived back and started walking toward the school bus. Claire got on first, while Winnie held my cane and helped me climb the steps.
“Hi Mr. Beedle,” I said to the driver as I past by and headed down the aisle to my usual window seat two rows behind him.

“Hiya KK, thanks for reminding me it’s Tuesday,” he replied pointing at my wig.

“No worries, don’t forget tomorrow is carrot top Wednesday,” I said.

He winked at me and closed the bus doors. “Sit down everybody, we’re on the road!”

Winnie sat beside me making sure I stayed in my seat while Claire took her usual seat behind me to hold my neck pillow in place. Besides being my two bestest friends these guys were my crew as well. It would really suck to deal with this yucky cancer stuff all by myself. Luckily, I’ve got people!

“Alright, phase one is done, we have the bait. Now it’s time for phase two, setting the trap,” I said as I looked out the window.

“So, what’s your plan KK,” Claire asked?

“Yeah, we know you have one, we can see that wicked little smile on your face,” Winnie added.

I turned back and faced front, making eye contact with Mr. Beedle in the rear view mirror. “Oh I’ve got a plan alright! Listen up…”


Next post: chapter five “KK Undercover…The Cookie Caper”

No comments: